Saturday 7 February 2015

52 Ancestors week 6 - So far away - Mary KELLY nee MOLOUGHNEY

My great great great grandmother, Mary KELLY nee MOLOUGNEY is one I consider so far away both in distance and research results.

So I was incredibly excited to receive this photo of her last week.

It isn't the clearest photo, but it is something I never dreamt I would see.

Taken at Cashel Tipperary Ireland the photo was in the possession of her grandson, Alexander MORGAN in New Zealand.  Alex's mother was my great great grandmother, Alice MORGAN nee KELLY of Essendon, Victoria.




Mary MOLOUGHNEY married Cornelius KELLY at Dualla, Tipperary on the 6th of February 1834.

Cornelius died about 1851, but I haven't found a death for Mary yet.


Tipperary encumbered estate records on the IGP website show Cornelius listed as the late Cornelius KELLY.

Previously in the Griffith's Valuations he was leasing house land and offices from Matthew Pennefather who went into insolvency.

I haven't found any connections to the MOLOUGHNEY surname (spelling variations include Mulloughn(e)y/ Molloughny etc) I am told it is pronounced MoloKney.

Information from Irish records on their marriage and children's baptisms:

Cornelius Kelly and Mary Mulloughney married on the 6th of February 1834 in the Parish of Boherlahan Dualla
Witnesses to the marriage were Rev. D. Corcoran and Daniel Mahony

Margaret Alice Kelly
Baptised 10 Dec 1834, Dualla, Sponsors were Laurence Mockler and Judith Walsh

Michael Kelly
Baptised 18 Sep 1836, Dualla, Sponsors were Patrick Molloughney, Mary Mahony

Edmond Kelly
Baptised 16 Sep 1838, Dualla, Sponsors were Thomas Ryan, Julia Kelly.

John Kelly
Baptised 20 Jun 1840, Newpark, Sponsors were William Mahony, Mary Ryan

Thomas Kelly
Baptised 1 Jan 1843, Dualla, Sponsors were Thomas Quinlan, Catherine Mulloughny

William Kelly

Baptised 6 Jan 1846, Dualla, Sponsors were Michael Kelly, Mary Ryan

52 Ancestors Challenge 
by Amy Johnson Crow at "No Story Too Small"
My 52 Ancestors Challenge List

2 comments:

  1. Oh WOW Kerryn! You have been very lucky with your recent acquisitions! To have a photo of an Irish ancestor is wonderful (I have had no luck with my Irish ancestors at all!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so lucky to have received these Sharon, I still can't beleive it.

    ReplyDelete